Thursday, July 8, 2010

Human Statue - Dire Husi


It was a Saturday evening when I decided to stroll with my Kid Tebor in the DV Soria Night Cafe. We roamed around looking at the Items for sale and food to eat and something caught my attention. It was a crowd drawing group playing native musical instruments with one person painted his body with silver and standing in the middle of a crowd as if he is a statue a human statue. One can take pic and a donation for their cause is expected. I put my ten Peso coin in their box for my appreciation of their artistic idea in drawing crowd. We enjoy our stroll at the park and we went home. I opened my PC and search on the net and know more about the group. This group named themselves Dire Jose Initiatives. Established in 2004, “Dire” is a Visayan word for “here” and “Husi“ is a Manobo word for “friend.” Dire Husi is an organization of indigenous and out-of-school young people in Northern Mindanao. Based in Cagayan de Oro City, the group runs a social enterprise that creates and sells indigenous-inspired terracotta accessories, musical instruments, and soil paintings. Dire Husi also performs “enthralling and upbeat" world music that fuses indigenous chants and rhythms with contemporary beats. Dire Husi believes in Fair Trade. It adheres to the principles of self-help, social equity, and ecological sustainability. For more about Dire Husi visit their site at my blog list.

No comments:

Post a Comment